Thursday, June 15, 2006

Dentist vs DMV

I have to go on what likely will be a day-long field trip to the DMV on Saturday to register my car in Virginia and get a VA Driver's License. I've been a Virginian all my life, and am convinced that if Jesus had had more time to talk, the Beatitude "Blessed are the Virginians, because there is only one Virginia while there are 49 wannabees" would be in our Bibles today.

However, the Virginia Dept of Motor Vehicles is an ever-present reminder of the reality of sin in our world. I have dealt with them a number of times before, and while they generally do the best they can, it is usually a nightmare experience for those of us who pay the taxes that fund it. My wife casually suggested that we go to church on Saturday night in order to meet up with a friend of ours there, and I enthusiastically said 'yes' because I know I'm gonna have a lot to repent of that day.

I feel much the same way about dentists. Imperfect teeth that require dental and orthodontic work are a particularly vicious manifestation of the Curse. After hearing many stories growing up from my grandfather about early 20th century dentistry in the Shenandoah Valley, I refuse to this day to see anyone but a Yankee dentist. Call it treason, but the visual picture in my head of both dentist and patient using great quantities of alcohol as a method of anesthesia is simply too much to overcome. Sadly, all of this is reminding me that I'm overdue to make an appointment with the dentist :(

All of this has naturally gotten me to think about Hell. Thankfully, I'm not going there. But what if Hell consisted of sweating through a chair while some demonic dentist poked around in your mouth for all eternity? Or what if Hell consisted of spending all eternity going slowly from line to line at the DMV, being frustrated beyond belief every step of the way and ultimately not getting anywhere? Or better yet, what if Hell were much much worse than both put together?! Pastors, pay attention. These are pretty good sermon illustrations that would certainly convict me!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home